The project has been funded by the Prince Claus Fund and Geoth-Institut, Cultural and Artistic responses to environmental change funding 2021
Weaving the Nakaiy Research Team:
- Ifham Niyaz (Artist / Translators)
- Dr. Jonathan Cane (Researcher) - Leverhulme Centre for Anthropocene Biodiversity
- Mohamed Ishan Saeed (Architect) - Atollscape
-Ben Pollock (Designer/Researcher) - Climate Cartographics
Site Design, Graphics & Imagery - Climate Cartographics
Sounding Recordings - Atollscape
Text - Jonathan Cane & Ifham Niyaz
Photography & Sounding Recordings are from South Huvadhu Atoll trip, 7 to 13 January 2023.
SoundCloud archive of all soundings and interviews
Field Trip Blog - Atollscape
Data sources and references
Weather and Climate Data:
- Maldives Meteorological Service, Faresmaathoda Airport Gaafu Dhaalu Atoll, Daily Records 1994-2022
- NOAA GHCN v4
- Scripps Institution of Oceanography
- Open Street Map:
- Allen Coral Atlas maps, bathymetry and map statistics are © 2018-2022 Allen Coral Atlas Partnership and Arizona State University and licensed CC BY 4.0
Nakaiy Research & Further Reading:
- The Nakiay Nevi app by Shahee Ilyas
- Maniku, Hassan Ahmed. 1989. Nakaiy. No publisher information.
- Romero-Frias, Xavier. 1999. The Maldive Islanders: A Study of the Popular Culture of an Ancient Ocean Kingdom. Nova Ethnographica Indica.
- Schneider-Mayerson, Matthew, and Brent Ryan Bellamy, eds. 2019. An Ecotopian Lexicon. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.
- Helmreich, Stefan, Sophia Roosth, and Michele Ilana Friedner. 2017. Sounding the Limits of Life: Essays in the Anthropology of Biology and Beyond. Princeton University Press.
- Atolls of the Maldives: Nissology and Geography’, edited by Stefano Malatesta, Marcella Schmidt Di Friedberg, Shahida Zubair, David Bowen, and Mizna Mohamed.